Electricity and natural gas are as safe as they are convenient. But it’s important to use caution around energy sources. Consider these simple tips:
- Avoid power lines, while digging or doing yard work. Call 811 before you dig!
- Avoid all downed power lines and report them immediately.
- Take immediate action if you smell gas or your pilot light won’t come on. Get out first and then CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP).
- Install a carbon monoxide detector near areas where your family sleeps. If you suspect carbon monoxide is in your home, open windows for ventilation and shut off your furnace and other fuel-burning appliances. Call CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP).
- Protect children by installing safety covers over unused electrical outlets. Always use the recommended bulb wattage. Keep cords in good working condition.